tirsdag den 24. juni 2014

Flying high

The soup plate was resting on a flatter plate, feeling well-balanced and comfortable, especially since it imagined itself being made of royal china. Even though the flat plate could be said to originate from the same fine line, it was a matter of rank. The soup plate had a distinct feeling of holding more depth than the plate it was placed upon, appearing more surface, and the position of the supreme in the hierarchy also offered the best view at the dinner table.

Moreover, it counted not having been created but invented, solely applying to plates with depths.

It had been dropped on the floor a couple of times without leaving any chips, which made the fine cognac glass suggest that it perhaps was made of faience and not of porcelain, since being that robust.

This irritated the soup plate as the cognac glass without a doubt was made of crystal. It was musically, and every time a wet finger moved around the rim, a tone was heard sounding beautiful, melancholic, far-fetched and boastful at the same time, it thought.

“You whistle the best you’ve learned,” the soup plate said, “but it’s easily heard that there is no way you could have invented me. And I fall about laughing thinking of the day I am placed in a fine plate rack, eventually finding my niche. From here I will be able to look down at you and take your sarcasm from above and downwards, well suited for one being decorated with hand-painted flowers.”

“I don’t give a whistle about that,” the cognac glass replied. “As long as I am poured a fair amount of the golden drops, covering my bottom in a pleasurable way, while feeling a warm hand swirling the liquid gently around, I am satisfied. I quite easily enjoy being what I am without any need of getting drunk or full. And, by the way, I hope that you’re looking forward to the scalding soup soon being poured into you.”

“I manage to be full without getting drunk,” the soup plate answered in a cutting tone, “so you better be careful with your cognac. One fine day you might be over-poured and end up seeing flying saucers.”



Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar